Mike is an author, coach and sought-after international keynote speaker who teaches people how to infuse their lives and businesses with authenticity and appreciation. He has given not 1, not 2 but 3 TED Talk presentations and is the author of books ‘Nothing Changes Until You Do’, ‘Focus on the Good Stuff, and ‘Be Yourself….Everyone Else is Already Taken.’ He has been featured on ABC News, the Oprah radio network, Forbes, the Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and many more.
In This Episode:
- Mike was a professional baseball player before a sudden injury ended his entire career and his identity as Mike the baseball player. He describes what the whole experience taught him about appreciation.
- Mike describes a funny story about how if you are playing badly in baseball, you are removed from the game in a very public way!
- We discuss the difference between recognition and appreciation, and why is the distinction so important.
- We hear about a really interesting study conducted by the department of labour in the US about the main reason why people leave their jobs.
- Mike talks about the 2 main keys needed for creating an environment in which people really thrive.
- We find out some ways in which we can start expressing our appreciation for other people more effectively.
- “Pay attention to how we relate to ourselves, because how we relate to other people is fundamentally related to how we relate to ourselves, part of why we’re not often as appreciative towards others is because we are really critical of ourselves, so I’m a big believer of the idea that we don’t see other people as they are, we see them as we are”
- Mike discusses the massive importance of regularly practicing gratitude.
- We talk about how it has been scientifically proven that when one person expresses kindness to another, and it is received, the serotonin levels in both people’s brains increases.
- He describes in a really interesting way where phoney, honesty and authenticity all lie in relation to one another.
- “Honesty without self righteousness and with vulnerability is authenticity and that takes an enormous about of self awareness and courage to be able to operate, to live, to work, to interact with people from that place. and to act from that place.”
- We discuss the importance of vulnerability, and leaning into our fears.
- “what if the sign of a great life was really having many many things that we love so much that we experienced an enormous amount of vulnerability all the time because those things were so important”
- We talk about risk taking and pushing ourselves and the idea of growing when we are on the edge and outside of our comfort zone.
- I ask Mike why asking this question is so powerful: “If you really knew me, you’d know that….”
- What does a fulfilled life mean to Mike?
- What is one thing all our listeners can do today that will have a massive positive effect on their lives?
- Which books or resources have changed/had a big impact on your life?
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman
The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Deborah Ford
Connect with Mike:
Want a Free Audiobook from Audible.com? Grab one here